The Economy of Cruelty
A meme just popped up on my Facebook page that states “We shut down a $22 trillion economy for a “virus” with a 0.1% death rate? The worst part is you cannot see the political corruption behind this”.
I enumerated my response but did not stick around for the reactions and inevitable ad hominems – libtard, sheeple, covidiot. Making Super Duper Missile daddy proud one day at a time. My response:
1. We don’t know the relative mortality rate because we’ve only tested a small percentage of the population four months later. So accepting this as canonical fact is ignorant. Keep in mind different cohorts have different mortality rates as well. Your age and every comorbidity you have from high blood pressure to obesity magnifies your risk of death.
2. Economies are inevitable, people are not. Every one of those 100,000 body bags used to be a producer, consumer and taxpayer. That’s more Americans dead from Covid-19 than the Vietnam War, War in Afghanistan, Iraq War and 9/11 combined. In four months.
3. Let’s presume for the sake of argument your statistic is accurate, that we take no corrective action, no quarantine, no masks. Just let everybody get it like other coronaviruses such as those that cause the common cold. In a country of 330 million people that would be 330,000 body bags worth of former contributors to the economy. And they will suffer a horrible, agonizing death alone in an ICU on a ventilator.
4. When I see ignorant comments like “it’s a politicized weapon of the Democrats” it’s worth pointing out that the virus doesn’t adhere to political parties or national borders. It’s a ridiculous argument. Trump has blood on his hands and if you support him, so do you. Dismantled CDC pandemic response team in 2018. It’s a hoax. 15 cases soon to be zero. We’ve got it under control. It’s just going to disappear. We’re living in a kakistocracy and that has real consequences in the face of a global pandemic.
5. I’m a cybersecurity and biotech programmer in Seattle. The company I work for makes research instruments used by epidemiologists and pathologists to visualize and quantify RNA and proteins in tissue samples. We’re working directly with the CDC and research partners all over the world. The threat of this virus is very significant and the longer we prolong the quarantines by not adhering to scientific guidance the more likely it is to mutate and become endemic.
6. Don’t be cruel.
At the end of the day I don’t think I’ll be able to reach them. Some people are so far gone into cognitive dissonance that their mind is a snowstorm, a constant whiteout. When presented with canonical truths and verifiable facts they resort to juvenile taunting, usually something along the lines of insulting your intelligence because you get your news from the mainstream media. They live in a magical world were Breitbart and Rush Limbaugh are not mainstream.
They think they’re smart but they’re not. And they’re cruel.